About the National Ombudsman

Do you have a complaint about the local government, Rijksdienst Caribisch Nederland, the police or the Public Prosecutor’s Office? The National Ombudsman is here to help. The National Ombudsman is here for residents of Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba. Are you unable to get anywhere with the government, or do you feel you are not being treated fairly? Then you can get us involved.

Government agencies on the BES islands

You may have to deal with a whole range of authorities on the islands. These might include national government agencies such as the Royal Military and Border Police, the Dutch Caribbean Police Force or the Public Prosecutor’s Office. Or Social Affairs and Employment, the Tax Authorities or the ZVK. In addition, there are local government agencies such as the public entities of Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba.

Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba are special municipalities of the Netherlands. The National Ombudsman has been responsible for dealing with complaints about national government agencies on the islands since 2010. Complaints about local government agencies (public bodies) were added to the Ombudsman’s responsibilities in 2012.

Complaint about a government agency?

The government has a duty to ensure that all laws and regulations are properly enforced and implemented. That is not as easy as it sounds. You may encounter a problem when dealing with a government agency. You can then call on the National Ombudsman. We will assist you free of charge. If you have a complaint about a national government authority, then you must first submit your complaint to that authority. If you complaint is not resolved, then you can contact us. You can file a complaint about a local government authority directly with us.

Immediate solution or investigation

If you file a complaint with us, we will let you know within three weeks what we can do for you. If your complaint is about a problem that can be easily solved, then we will see to a solution immediately. If your complaint is more complex, we will launch a thorough investigation. This will take more time, but we will keep you informed of our progress. At the conclusion of our investigation, we will publish our findings in a report indicating whether your complaint is justified and what the government can do to improve its services.

Do you have a complaint? Let us know

When filing your complaint, please include your address, email address and telephone number. Also include a brief description of the problem and the government agency involved. Tell us what you have already done to resolve your complaint.

Use the digital complaint form to submit your complaint online

You may also complete a complaint form on paper or write a letter and send it to:

National Ombudsman
Antwoordnummer 10870
2501 WB The Hague
The Netherlands